August 30, 2015
It's summer and the rats are back. At Ascension we are maintaining our aggressive rat prevention protocols and have actually received "kudos" from NYC officials.
- Garbage is only placed on the curb the morning of pickup. No garbage overnight.
- Garbage areas, recepticles, and the property are regularly washed down with the recommended amounts of bleach.
- We use the recommended protocol of regular garbage bags and the "Mint X" rodent repellent trash bags.
- Litter, pet waste, and rat droppings, and human waste are removed immediately as we see anything. The areas are then washed with the bleach mix.
However, we need to be diligent. This is our church, our neighborhood, our reputation.
- Please alert the rectory staff of any droppings or food waste around the church, rectory, school, etc.
- If you see dog waste not being picked up, please tell the owner that pet waste ATTRACTS rats.
- If your building puts its garbage on the curb overnight, please ask your building superintendent, landlord, or owner to try to put the garbage out in the mornings.
As the saying goes: "If you see something, say something".
The link will take you to the NYC Department of Health website for rat prevention.