November 3, 2015
On October 18th, Fr. Kearney’s letter announced the Ascension Homeless Shelter Ministry
For this ministry, we need three sets of volunteers:
- The sleepers (2) would spend the night on fold up beds as a kind of chaperones. Since the men are so well screened, there is rarely, if ever, a problem. The “sleepers” are also responsible for putting the cots away, cleaning the kitchen, bathrooms, and taking out the garbage. They serve breakfast to the men -- as simple or as elaborate as they wish.
- Those who cook would provide a hot evening meal for the men. Very often this is done as a family effort. A particular family (or group) from the parish would come in to serve dinner to the men. The family would typically eat with the men as well.
- “set-up and clean-up”
- The third group of volunteers is for clean-up and set-up. They would set up the beds, etc.
There is always an experienced volunteer on call in the unlikely event that some kind of issue arises.
If you are interested in signing up, there are 3 ways:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- sign-up sheet in the rectory